Trustmark approved
Electrician Trusted Trader

5 Signs of Bad Electrical Wiring in a House


What is Faulty Electrical Wiring?

Faulty electrical wiring is a common cause of fires in homes and businesses. It can also be a serious Safety hazard. Electrical wiring is any conductor carrying an electrical current from one point to another. This includes the main power supply to the building, as well as any internal wiring. Faulty electrical wiring can cause fires if it overheats or shorts out.

It can also be a shock hazard if it is not properly insulated. To reduce the risk of fire or shock, it is important to have your electrical wiring checked by a qualified electrician on a regular basis.
If you suspect that there may be a problem with your wiring, do not hesitate to contact Big Green Electrical as our fully qualified electricians can inspect and repair any damage.

Can Faulty Wiring Increase Electric Bills?

Many people are unaware that faulty wiring can increase electric bills. Loose wires and poorly connected outlets can cause resistance, which in turn causes heat build-up. This wasted energy not only raises your electric bill, but it can also be a fire hazard.

In addition, if your circuit breaker trips frequently, this is another sign that your wiring may be faulty. An electrician can inspect your wiring and make any necessary repairs.

By ensuring that your wiring is up to code, you can help keep your energy bills down and prevent any potential hazards.

Can Faulty Wiring Cause Fires?

Faulty wiring is one of the leading causes of house fires. It is important to have your wiring checked by a professional electrician regularly to ensure that it is in good condition and up to code.
If you notice any signs of damage, such as frayed wires or exposed insulation, do not attempt to repair it yourself. This could cause serious injury or even start a fire. If you have any old wiring in your home, it is especially important to have it replaced.

Older homes often have outdated wiring that is not adequate for today’s needs. This can lead to overloading and eventually a fire. By making sure your wiring is up-to-date and in good condition, you can help prevent house fires.

5 Signs of Bad Wiring in a House

1.Flickering lights

When you plug in an appliance and the lights dim, this is a sign that electrical current may not be flowing properly. If there’s buzzing or flickering when switches are turned on then it could also mean some sort of problem with your wiring!

2.Outlets that are hot to the touch

When you notice an outlet that is hot, dark or scorched- this could be a sign of energy leak and may indicate there’s been too much electricity sent through the wire. The excess heat from these surges in power could fry appliances nearby so keep your eye out for any unusual burnt smells coming off their cords.

3. A burning smell coming from outlets or light fixtures

If you notice a burning smell coming from your home’s electrical system, there is likely fire damage. Unplug all of the electronics that are plugged into this outlet and call for help as soon as possible.

4. Circuit breakers constantly tripping

You might think that circuit breakers are there to stop electricity when the circuits get too full, but if they’re tripping all of time then it could be because something is wrong with either your device or its power source. If nothing else works and you still have this problem after reducing how many high-energy devices are plugged into one outlet—or replacing both items if possible -it’s probably best for an electrician inspect everything near them first before any fires start happening.

5. Frayed or chewed wiring

If you notice frayed or chewed wiring, the concern goes beyond rodents in the house. When the protective plastic covering is broken, exposing the wires inside then the electrical circuit is open. This allows electricity to arc, which can cause dangerous electrical shocks and a fire.

Contact Big Green Electrical Today

If you are looking to update the wiring in your house or need an electrician to help with the wiring for an extension then please contact us today for a free quote.

Get In Touch

Contact us today


Contact us today for a free quote from your local electrician in Camberley, Surrey. Your first step to energy savings and satisfaction guaranteed.

Latest News